Monday, June 22, 2009

The Next Chapter in Blogging

You knew I had to do it. It's been years since I made a new blog, and I've never had a themed one before. Plus I'm far too conceited to just email people about my travels. I was going to go back to LiveJournal, because I miss it sometimes, but all the cool kids have Blogger these days. And this blog is all about trying new things, so here I am.

So here we have it: my first travel blog, which will follow my upcoming trip to Belize, my semester abroad next spring, and hopefully many other adventures to come. A summer in Quebec? Working with elephants in Thailand? Teaching in France? We'll see. Stay tuned.

For now, though, countdown to San Ignacio, Belize: 13 days and some-odd hours. I will then spend four weeks scratching mosquito bites and digging in tropical mud. I've loved archaeology since I can remember (I distinctly remember reading National Geographic and Discover while still in the single-digit age range) and the Maya since at least middle school. Archaeology as a potential career option first occurred to me about five years ago. I'm more skeptical now than I was then about my ability to stay passionate about it while dirty and sweaty and tired and bored, but all the same, I've been waiting for this for a long, long time.

I've had my shots, I've got my tools, there's a plane ticket with my name on it, and me and my boots are ready to get this show on the road.

So bookmark this page, subscribe to it, or memorize my URL. It's time for an International Adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment