Monday, July 27, 2009

Speed Updating

Hello all. I'm back from my epic long-weekend road/boat trip across Belize. I survived, and did some pretty cool things, some of which I never expected to do. There will be details to come, along with the other stories I've promised. This is going to be a crazy week, but I'll do what I can.

For now, I would like to mention that I have set a new record for the worst sunburn I've ever had. I think I'm probably lucky not to have blisters. So, a word to the wise: When snorkeling, one is not, in fact, far enough under the water to not need sunscreen on one's legs.

Also, I no longer have my annual watch tan, which is somewhat sad. A break with tradition. It's an unfortunate side effect of my wristwatch becoming a pocketwatch. Which is itself apparently a side effect of trying to retrieve a pool ball from the goal of a fooseball table. (Trust me, that sentence is more interesting if I don't explain it.)

Also, I found out this evening that over the weekend some guy got stabbed to death in the bar where said fooseball table is located. I wonder if that will deter any of this week's evenings out.

I think I'm going to devote an entry to food at some point, but I need to vent for a moment: Mayonnaise is for some reason ubiquitous down here. I have yet to be served a sandwich anywhere that wasn't soggy with mayo. Often on both pieces of bread. I hate mayonnaise. And it never, ever, ever, belongs on a hot dog.

Oh. Did I mention that last weekend Sam was bitten by a baby howler monkey and had to spend most of last week trying to convince someone to give her the rest of her rabies shots? (She was, both fortunately and ironically, the only person in the group to start rabies shots before she got here.) Well, that taken care of, she then proceeded to have a table collapse on her foot this weekend. It's not broken, but it's pretty much destroyed in every other possible way. I don't understand how this girl keeps smiling. I've never seen such ridiculously awful luck.

I am on survey crew tomorrow (FINALLY) for the first and probably last time. I'm looking forward to it, but I'd still rather be in the lab, for reasons some of you know and others will have to find out via not-a-public-blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment